INTERNAL & EXTERNAL CLEANSING
For inviting the Goddess Lakshmi – the giver of wealth and prosperity people spruce up their houses; remove every bit of refuge/dirt. Though they may throw dirt from their houses outside the precincts of houses as such proving the point that filth lying inside their houses has to be cleaned but outside it is not their concern!
Do you think those who clean the outside their houses are appreciated? My experience tells otherwise. I got a rude shock one day. While I was cleaning the litter adjoining my home off lying there after having cleaned the inside of the house; my neighbor interjected; “why I was doing it” and continued: “Cleaning staff will come and clean it all up”! I felt dumbfounded to answer his query – somebody else will clean the smut outside our houses surprisingly spread by us? I too see people throwing their household filth in the streets as if the streets are the dumping grounds. Really thoughtless. We clean our inside of our houses but do not care to clean outside of homes! A house cannot be a home till such time it is clean from inside and outside.
Would not all knowing Maan Lakshmi observe the filth thrown outside our houses by us? Therefore it is imperative both inside and outside our houses should be kept clean for welcoming the Goddess of Wealth to our houses. Additionally it should not only be done on some festivals but ever day so as to keep the germs away from our midst; ensuring our good health and happiness. It would also be in keeping with the maxim: Cleanliness is next to godliness.
Similar is the case with keeping the cleanliness of our body – both inside and outside. Habitually we tend to clean the outside our body. We spend unlimited amount of money to keep outside of body in fine fettle; a demonstrative effect to – just to impress others. But does this outer outlook helps in establishing our credentials as a total individuality – the one who can influence others?
Bapu Gandhiji had a magnetic personality which not only influenced people nationally but also commanded utmost respect internationally with his simplest attire! His inside and outside were cleansed.
To remove the impurities from gold and make it 24 caret; it has to go through different processes. Similar is the case with our internal cleansing to remove:-
• Anger. When we are in angry mood we are not able to utilize our innate mental faculties to the hilt and many a times dehumanized tendencies are shown under its influence. Anger dissipates the energies which otherwise could have been used for body and spiritual upliftment. It is enemy number one of humanity. In anger we do things which disgraces us in the eyes of our love ones.
• Greed. Greed is one of the worst form of negative traits. Greed for more material possessions forces us resorting to ulterior means to acquire more in order to satiate our greed. Sometimes we follow immoral ways and means for appeasing our appetite for ‘Ye Dil Mange More’. There being no limit to it; it reduces our karmic credit. This negative trait taints our character black.
• Dishonesty / Insincerity. It should never be forgotten that the fruits of dishonesty / insincerity are sweet but ultimately its results are unimaginable.
• Ego. Care ought to be taken that we should never forget that ego is our enemy number one. Too much of its appeasement may lead to disproportionate repercussions. There is a border line that demarcates the ego and self esteem beyond we have to be cautious about.
• Worry. Worry about the result of our action or worry about the future which is unpredictable are the two impediments which come in our way in our lives. These become roadblocks in our further further development in any field of activity. Irrational worries are still more harmful. If we resort to worries on even small things in life then our further advancement in life is retarded. There are the people who are habitual worriers.
• Falsehood. One bogus step impels us to take more steps. It may be for getting easy money; or easy publicity. It should never be forgotten whatever is earned easily with falsehood just is dissipate just easily. It does not stay for long and leaves a black spot on our character.
• Ill-will. Even having ill-will is immoral. In our lives we tend to have ill intention. This ill intention pushes us further in the quagmire of darkness and taints of character. Mere have it is a sin keep aside implementing it in life.
• Dishonesty / Insincerity. It has been said that half the bread earned with the sweet of our brows is than a full one earned with dishonesty or insincerely. Shache ka bol bala joothe ka hoga mun kala (Truth wins in the end untruth tarnishes the image). Honesty and truthfulness coupled with sincerity are important constituents of our character and make us sublime.
• Falsehood. Anything earned with falsehood may boomerang on us finally. If we resort to falsehood in enhancing our status; it would be short-lived. It is lusterless.
CLEANSING OF INSIDE AND OUTSIDE
We apply cleansing agents
Of varied varieties
To clean the dirt
Off our body
Sometimes we remove the dead skin
The part of being
Which stood by us
Through thick and thin.
But woefully we do not
Cleanse the stinking dirt
Like ego; anger; ill-will; greed; et al
Falsehood and other negatives
And cultivate kindness
Forgiveness & Compassion et al
With the cleansing agents
Of different varieties
Like prayer & meditation.
Not only inside of home
But outside of it
Ought be cleaned off dirt
To say good bye to germs
And prevent their entry
Into system of ours
And ruin our immunity
Giving us varieties of diseases.