INTOXICANTS – A DRAG ON HEALTH WELLBEING
Imagine a person who is enslaved by the habit of intoxicants; consequently becomes a huge drag on the resources and physical condition. An activity repeated a number of times becomes a habit and when this habit is drinking or drug abuse without which an individual cannot live being his obsession – it is indeed alarming.
It is observed that habits are easily formed / acquired but hard to be eradicated. It is like a unwanted guest (but anyhow not uninvited) which you want to dispense with but it will not just go away. One has to make concerted and determined efforts in getting rid of this disgusting guest. Unfortunately it has been a common experience that when one falls prey to these habits; one is really ensnared. A way out is a little difficult. Mere sight of these intoxicants is enough to distract us from our actual path and envelop us lock stock a barrel into it. Man falls from one abbess to another without any redemption in sight. Though redemption may be there for those who want to sincerely leave this obsession for that to happen determined effort is needed.
How this habit is formed? It starts with just for the sake of fun. It may be in some innocuous parties / get together that a person gets a feel of it. Or some fair weather friend may lure us into the trap by initially spending money and thenceforth becoming a continuous habit; so much so that the friend who initiated the person concerned may also take advantage of this addiction to the hilt.
The other causes of addiction are:-
• Frustration in resolving the intricacies with regard to love and relationship.
• Sudden failure or persistent losses incurred in business deals.
• Financial stringency.
• Not getting employment despite requisite qualifications.
• Offspring not able to come to the expectations despite best efforts.
• Incompatibility between the spouses.
A time comes when this prisoner of bad habits just is not having anything left – not merely monetarily but also physically. The result of this is body afflictions with disastrous consequences.
• Drug Use in Children / Adolescents. Drug abuse starts in the early stage itself. It starts on experimental basis and then becomes a solid habit. It is sad that the use of drug like heroin and amphetamine-type stimulants (ATS) is resorted by below the age group of 25! Even alcohol; tobacco consumption; amongst this age group is on the ascendancy. Then the high use of intravenous drugs and needle sharing is the result of debilitating diseases like HIV/AIDS. This age group is most impressionable. In this age group the child has to make a solid foundation / base for his future life – acquiring education; pursuing some vocation or avocation and finally having a life partner for a happy married life. But as the individual has got nothing to bank on; he resorts to crimes for quelling his habit.
• Withering of Family Fabric. Family is the sacred institution where husband and wife pool their personal resources and make concerted efforts that this institution runs and runs purposefully for the welfare of the whole family. While one member of the family sweats and the other one fritters away the hard earned resources in alcohol or drug abuse then there are fissures in the family unity. There may be constant bickering between spouses and family development as a unit is just shattered. How long this family fabric could work in unison?
• Suicidal Tendencies. The sad part of the consequence of drug abuse is that it acts as a depressant – divesting the person concerned of fighting spirit. A time comes when that person loses will to live and that is the sad end of the commentary of life for that individual.
• Enemy of Spirituality. Those who are afflicted with the abhorrent habit of drug abuse just are seen to be repulsed from the spiritual way of life.
• With this intention in mind, I have penned a poem entitled: ‘DRUG ABUSE & ITS CONSEQUENCES’ kindly give your comments so that more of these topics could be penned down for optimum benefit.
DRUG ABUSE – ITS CONSEQUENCES
Bad habits form inroads
In us just easily
But hard to get out
Having made a dent.
Robs the innocence off
In the tender age itself
With its ill affects.
It is mother of bitterness
In the families
Breaking the fabrics
Which binds them together.
Gives fillip to corrupt practices
Gives lip services
To best practices
Of happy living.
O Creator of ours
In providing antidote
So that those slave to these
Are freed off its influence
For making the society
A crime free in true sense.