PRAYER – A MIND GAME PLAY IT NICELY
Prayers are admixture of pious thoughts and love directed towards God. Highest form of prayer provides us equanimity both in happy and unhappy occasions. Prayer done contemplatively or intensively sets the stage for experience which is the invaluable gift of Absolute Power. We learn detachment from worldly attachments and also purification of our inner self which are of prime importance. Though experience of all this is obviously mystic in nature yet bestows us bliss. This also gives us power to get rid of or lack of interest in negative traits like lust; covetousness; anger etc. The prayer also gives us identification / unity with our Creator – liberation (moksh). For this to happen and to make our prayers result oriented it is important that we take care of the following:-
• Get Rid of Arrogance. When we have excessive attachment towards material possessions we have the impudence of thinking that it is all due to our efforts. The prevalence of distorted ego can rightly be perceived by the presence of arrogance of highest order bordering on ignorance in true sense of terms. We should remove lack of knowledge or ignorance by taking shelter at the lotus feet of a Guru – well versed in Holy scriptures who could give us the transcendental Divine message and thus could dispel our doubts and remove every trace of arrogance of having the idea that everything is due to ‘me/I’ and give us eternal benefit.
• Choosing Guru. For getting eternal benefit it is of utmost importance that we take the guidance from a Guru who is well versed and knows the cause of our malady and worldly afflictions and can prescribe the right divine message; spiritually fundamental principle like an expert doctor who could diagnose the disease that afflicts us and prescribe the right medicine for complete cure. This cure ought to be the cure of the system as a whole and not only to suppress the disease. The purpose is to get emancipation from worldly bondage through theological inquiry. But the disciple should also search for truth and enquire into discrimination between eternal and non-eternal. It should never be forgotten that real self of a sentient being (jiva) – being the marginal potency is the creation of our benevolent Lord the controller of potency of highest order.
A personage of vision
With whom we connect with our emotions
He pin points our blemishes
Removes these with surgical precision
Like a surgical specialist
Who removes a part which dysfunctions
Fortunate are those who get Guru
Brimming with Braham Gyan
Transfer this to us without bias
And transports us from ignorance (Agyanta)
To the world of knowledge (Gyan).
O God grant us the gift of a Guru
Who purifies us thoroughly
So that immense piety & pity
Ooze from us eternally.
Guru is next to our mother
Who after giving birth
Mothers us with care
Showers her Godly love and concern of highest order
Sleeps on the wet stuff
So that we remain safe
Mothers cannot be chosen
These are God given
So is the Guru
• Know thyself. First and foremost thing that is essential for us is to know our ‘self’ fully – all the negative and positive traits – complete identification. When this identification is done we can then devise ways and means to get rid of the particular negativity that afflicts us. If identification is wrong then effort to put it into proper perspective will amount to a try with no futility. If one thinks subtle body to be the ‘self’ then it is the duty of the individual concerned for its mental and development. But real self is neither subtle body (mind; intelligence and ego) nor physical body. It is particle (anusaccidananda) of eternity – developed through spiritual enlightenment. The conscious entity which can feel and think is the real self. This conscious particle is designated as soul (Atma) – is eternal in nature does not die on the demise of body.
• Our Karma. Our present life is as per our karma in the previous lives. We reap what we have sown. We have got a golden chance in improving our karma qualitatively and quantitatively. Its affect is ever lasting. It is like a good medicine to cure our body system. What actions or thought percepts we should undertake to achieve our goal in life. It is not that we have to be attracted towards material possessions or indulgence in sensuality within and sometimes outside the socially recognized norms. Our negative karmas could be diluted or eradicated through sublime actions and thoughts – through compassion; helping needy and removing all negative instincts and karmas. We should do our action without thinking about the fruits of our action.
• Discrimination between Good & Bad. We tend to indulge in self appreciation through our various actions and reactions. This is through picking holes in others’ pockets without regard to know our own defects. In fact we are the prisoners of our own thinking. We actually misuse or take advantage our relative independence / free will. We fail to discriminate between good and bad eternal and non-eternal. God is the prime mover of this discriminating power. We being conditioned souls cannot see the difference between good and bad. Our bad impressions could be removed through our one pointed devotion to our Creator. A bad person indulges in negative actions and reactions but never accepting that he is at fault – that is his misfortune. But fact remains no conditioned soul is without any defects. But a good person recognises his defects and works hard to remove those defects. It can also be inferred that no human being is perfect in a sense of term. There is always scope for improvement. Only Our Creator is only perfect in every respect.
• Our Creator is a Strong Magnet. Our Creator loves us immensely. If we take one step towards Him; He takes ten to alleviate our hardships. It is a fact that our Infinite Absolute is our saver and manifests in variety of forms/incarnations (avtars) in this world of ours whenever there is demonic writ or the people in general are fearful in every way. It may be in the form of Lord Krishna or Lord Rama or Prophet Mohammad or Lord Jesus Christ or in many other forms.
In fact our Lord attracts us humans with His magnetism and spreads wellness by protecting righteousness and irreligiousty in the society by annihilating the evil / demoniac forces. He removes darkness of ignorance with His all-knowledge; all-existence and all-bliss and therefore these incarnations are all eternal.
It can be said that Bhakti or Prayer is the mind game. One who juggles well with five senses and reins these is bestowed the best results imaginable. And one who intensively does action and does not care for results of action is winner in all the games of life. So play the mind game well by controlling the senses and everything would be accomplished by our Bhagwan / Lord / Creator / Allaha for us. We need not even ask what we require. He is All-Knowing Being. AMEN