Our conscious self records messages
On its slate so assiduously kept clean by us
Its recall wholly depends
On the firmness of imprints of the messages
Depending entirely upon time and need when it arises
When deeply delving into ourselves
And come out with answers to our problems.
Some memories are sweeter than the words it contains
Others are sweeter than the sweets in the market places
These messages ignite our inner conscience the most
Recollecting it brightens our day like a star on the horizon.
Other recollections are bitter like bitter pills we don’t want swallow
Rather than making us healthy make us shallow
Like cruel incidents thee want forgetting
Yet surfaces time and again without any warning.
Thence sub conscious is the power house of information
It is unique in its manifestation
Working free of any limitation
It is most active at night when we’re in sleep mode
Contains beliefs based on present and past karma that we rode.
Thereafter comes the super conscious state
Here at its peak is the power of intuition
When we shut from our own individual‘self’ to its completion
And reach at the super-conscious state of realization
By acquiring inner richness by one pointed meditation
Imagination is the weapon traveling at breakneck speed
It can cut across any barriers which is a dire need
In shortest span of time ever known to anybody.
POWER OF MEMORY – A MIND GAME
Memory is like a seed first storing information then remembering or recalling or recollecting or repeating a particular event when one has planted it in the conscious self once. It is just like depositing cash in our account and withdrawing the same while we require it. Here it would be relevant to understand what is conscious self. To be aware of conscious means aware of ourselves – in our action and appearance. It could be construed as being aware of one’s existence
Memory is a unique phenomenon in all the living beings – including plants and animals. Sir Jagadish Chandra Bose proved with experiments that plants could feel, learn and remember with distinct clarity. More recent incisive studies have made it abundantly clear that the plants can recall and store biological data! No surprise, since our Creator is never biased against any of his creations. Seems farfetched but it is true.
The faculty of memory is exclusive to humans because of the power of differentiation. Humans can relive and recall the event at any time they want and have the control to either forget or keep a thing at the back-burner of their memory if the same is not as per their liking or at a time when it is harmful to remember/recall.
The seed of memory germinates and becomes a healthy plant and gives us fruit every time we feel like to take! Our subconscious mind is active not only in the day time but also during sleep, such is the grace of our Creator. Its memory is really awesome.
To understand memory, it is necessary to understand the following:-
• Consciousness Mind. What we perceive presently is in our conscious mind. It is awareness at the present moment. Conscious mind is always on the move from one thought percept to another. The experiences of the conscious state or wakeful state becomes prominent in this state. It is never stable. In this state of movability, some thoughts are registered on the slate of the mind and others forgotten. Our conscious mind has limitations of its own. It is a state of mind by which we cannot communicate with our soul. The need is to discipline and control our conscious self so that it works in sync time and situation. For this to happen, we have to contemplate and introspect so that it works for our total awakening and could conveniently retain information which are required. Some outside and some inside mental functions too influence our awareness. For instance we are aware of the environment we are living and the conditions in which we are living. These images influence our present i.e. our conscious mind and thus our memory or lack of it.
• Sub-conscious State of mind. This state of mind is unique simply because it is mystical in nature and enmeshed with the past memories, beliefs, mood changes, attachments and various karmas that we transact or have transacted in the past and the affect of which we are experiencing. It gets total activation in sleep mode. In sub-conscious state our attitude just changes and are granted freedom from the limitations that our conscious self imposes on us.
• It is a paradox that we are not aware of the working of subconscious mind – power house of information. This could be conveniently used for achieving success, for its hidden strength. It could transform our life. By whole heartedly affirming to us that there is a partner who could be a means of our success. Think of this as memory recall. This is you are swimming or cycling without consciously thinking about it all. We can bring subconscious information with some recall/recollection without much difficulty.
• Thus becoming conscious of our subconscious and going beyond the idea that there is some abstract concept is important. Information from subconscious mind to the conscious mind could be brought about very easily.
• Conscious State/Super-conscious State of mind. It is the state when intuition is at its peak. It is a state of soul’s power of knowing. This is a state of mind which is trained to foresee anything that may transpire. For this to happen, a spiritual seeker must centre his/her mind on our Creator and His commandments. For this we have to care for others rather than our own self. We can realize it through meditation and by going deeper in us. Human consciousness could be expanded to super consciousness when we shut to our ‘self’ and live for others through self-sacrifice and expand our inner being. Our love should be for all others. If it is impersonal it expands and with it expands our horizon. A man with cosmic consciousness just remembers everything that comes.
• In this state we feel super-conscious realization “I am infinite, I am a part of everything.” A spiritual seeker should keep his mind and body centred in Him and not allow his thoughts wander.
• Imagination and memory. Imagination are the memories of ‘mind-eye’. These are the images which are formed through sensation and are not perceived through our five senses. Imagination could help us in solving problems through imagining or image forming and then comparing with the real world. Or an event which just comes to mind without warning depending on the situation and time. Here sense of perception plays a prominent role. This could be called as constructed images by the perceptive mind and then made practical by our experiences. All these enhance our memory.
Paradoxes of Memory.
Forgetting things. Our conscious mind is confined – has limitations of its own. It is prone to pitfalls of forgetting due to one reason to another. Need is to train it for its retentively.
Forgetting and Forgiving Inappropriate Incidents. At times, we are constraint to forget an incident. For example, I am wronged by somebody and that memory remains, it will do an irreparable damage. It is not only for individual who forgets and forgives but also for those for whom the same is directed.
Deaths or Deception by our Dear Ones.Then there are incidences like death of our love ones or an incident which needs to be better forgotten for their ill-effects, it is better to forget those and keeping moving in our life.
Unconscious mind. Some of the primitive instinctual information perceived to be just forgotten just surfaces become subconscious and subsequently could be brought to our conscious mind with genuine effort put in by ourselves. As some remotely connected happening of the childhood is remembered as we are not having easy access to the information stored in the unconscious mind etc. For this to happen, some strong and important trigger is required for this purpose. These are the unconscious forces; beliefs, patterns etc. which drive our behaviours.
Divine Consciousness. Divine consciousness could be cultivated through persistent meditation. Then we would be able to lead a natural life which is in harmony with God. God’s superior attention gives us the gift of remembering Him together with enhanced Advanced yogi can perceive all the happening of all beings by interior union with GOD. Our soul’s intuitive power is the power given to us by our Lord. We are the prisoners of our own five senses. But a person who is God connected is having sixth sense – the power of soul realization by soul. Our awareness expands with the amount of concentration we put. That information which you did not inferential data about.
Intuition: Soul intuition is a faculty of God. We generally rely upon our senses for the information we require at any time. This exclusive power does not depend on the data of information that we cramp in our memory system. It could be called the preemptive. We start improving ourselves when we come to know our true self. That we are not mere this solid body but are the divine eternal current of life.
We should widen the scope of our mind by spiritually awakening it and then our life becomes separate. Our identification with our body stops.