Truth possesses immaculate lucidity
Which maintains its transparency
At all places and times when necessary
Try effacing it with wickedness
It emerges with still more goodness
And proves its eternalness – wholeness
Meaning truth cannot be explained in its entirety
For there is always scope for more clarity
To say that one can explain the whole truth clearly
Nature of which being infinity
Amounts to untruth of highest proportionality.
Eternal truth could be understood wholly or partly
Through prayer that too with sincerity.
Goes to show that Truth being eternal in nature
It is the One which has us all created.
The word satsang (Sanskrit word) has two syllabuses: ‘Sat’ and ‘sang’ where ‘sat’ means the truth and ‘sang’ refers to the company or association. Put together, it means ‘in the company of or association with. Together, satsang is an act which creates an environment conducive for experiencing the presence of our Isvara (Creator).
Here, it would be apt to further elaborate on the meaning of the word ‘truth’ – a statement of fact (satya), an undisputed fact (which could be tested and attested at any space of time. Of all the things, God is the TRUTH – an absolute truth at that. And ‘sang’ means company or association. When the two syllabuses are combined, it becomes ‘satsang’ meaning the company of truth.
Then in Satsang, the Karma (action) of a yogi with a single mindedness of pursuit of that truth (sat), bereft of any attachment to the fruits of that pursuit is also a must. Thisis in the modef of satya (satavic) in its nature. A pursuit which is done with an intention to having benefit that activity is in the mdoef of passion (Rajasvic) and the action that is performed with delusion – without any thought to consequences is in the category of ignorance (Tamsic). Only the SATTVIC action is right action for complete orientation towards God.
It has been experienced that even a well intentioned participation in numerous teaching / preaching session but being deficit on practen then all the exercise would be short on deliverance. We can meaningfully mention the taste of a dish by tasting, mere knowing about the work that went into preparing the dish hardly matters. We, therefore, have to make the teachings of our gurus our daily life activity then only we can realize the truth and know abouts its importance. The people with sincereeity establish connectivity with our Lord. Persons with skeptical mentality just remain disillusioned.
Importantly, spiritual practice could start with the chant of God’s names or recitation from the spiritual text besides internalization of the prayer with right attitude and pious heart while cutting off all the connections with the conscious world. By doing this, the thin layer of suspicion just evaporates and truth is thus realized.
Bhagwad Gita has rightly enunciated : Free from ever-hoping desires and from cravings from possessions, with the heart controlled by the soul…..a yogi should constantly try to unite with the soul.” That is a true meaning of SATSANG.
As a seeker starts chanting mantras/reciting from the religious texts, attends discourses on spiritualism, During the course of this satsang, a seeker is afforded opportunity to seek answers to his/her doubts pestering. In many cases, if the seeker is thorough righteous, he/she may get answers to questions at the time one is totally immersed in satsang. Appropriate environment creates appropriate opportunities for satiety of internal quibbling queries dormant in the seekers. This makes the journey of the seeker more fertile and fulfilling with passage of time. The best part of it all is that satsang is so empowering that it could help even the one who has just been initiated into it. Only the right attitude and will to excel despite impediments are the pre-requisite.
Kinds of satsang:-
- Satsamg with God.
- Satsang with preacher.
- Satsang with Masdters/Gurus.
- Satsang with fellow seekers.
- Satsang with a Bhakta (Yogi) for direct perception of truth.
Important thoughts on Satsang:-
- No intervention of priests required. An environment could be created where the bhaktas could invoke Isvara (God) collectively for a meaningful and positive effect, changing both the environment and the individuals concerned.
- Even those with less gyan (knowledge) of religious oriented songs/recitation of mantras benefit from this sort of satsang, even with repetition of the same.
- Purification of the individual & environment. Whole of the environment around the place of congregation is purified with spiritual songs /recitations/ mantras. Spiritual scriptural recitation could change the very thinking of the bhaktas for a peaceful living and equanimity.
- Direct Linkage between Bhakta and the God. There is direct connection with the bhaktas and the God with the honest and sincere satsang.
- Repetition. All bhaktas could repeat after the person who could sing the prayers in the praise of God.
- Satsang cleanses the internal self and external environs.
- The influence of group songs / religious hymns or congregation on the participants is obviously more. It is done without the mediation of the priest or pandit. These songs are sung in the praise of our Lord. In other words, here devout directly approach God in group. Here there is no need of reading from religious texts – simplicity and sincere devotion besides realism are of prime importance. Chorus religious songs cement the relationship of man with the God.
In satsung various people of different hues with complete commitment and freedom just surrender to the God. Here a body of people sing songs together with a wonderful effect.
Religious Congregation is the invocation for an act by way of chorus songs to establish rapport with our deity or a spiritual entity through collective songs with enthusiasm and fervor. The main thrust is to connect with our Lord through direct communication. It is done either in public place or privately at home of the devout. Here the use of religious language to invoke God comes naturally and rend the air and even the environment becomes filled with positive energy.
My own experience in a satsung is that I was not knowing even the language in which the songs were sung by the devotees but the effect on my psyche was total. It mesmerized me immensely as if I were knowing the language concerned totally.
The collective energy of the people will transform not only the people concerned but also makes the prayer and worship meaningful for a large number of people. These songs may be sung by two three singers and repetition of the same song by the congregation collectively.