15TH AUGUST – INDEPENDENCE DAY
Keeping in view the sacrifices made by our forefathers, I pray to Almighty God that India may progress optimally, despite impediments. My wish-list for this Independence Day and the coming ones is a mix of social harmony, economic, political expediency, probity, law & order, etc.
- People’s Representatives should be made answerable. The mayhem and noisy scenes we witness in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha during this monsoon session has made the general public very sad about the behavior of our reps. The time wasted by their unruly behavior has cost the exchequer hugely. This money could have been utilized for the welfare of the general masses. Not to speak of this, important legislations like GST, Land Bill, and other important legislation have too stalled and whose loss of this. The loss is of the country. We therefore plead that the time wasted already cannot be retrieved by any means but in future there some law should be enacted so that whichever party stalls the working of the two houses should be made accountable. We would like to see this happen in the next Independence Day. No wastage of time due to one pretext or other.
Traditional Modes of behavior/Values. It is a sad commentary that we are forgetting the traditional modes of behavior. The value which our forefathers attached to family and our cultural modes of behavior is being forgotten and in its place narrow parochial considerations are being followed knowing well that these are neither beneficial to the person concerned nor to the ones he/she comes in contact. I would like my countrymen to imbibe traditional values for which my Bharat is acclaimed since ages with the dictum, respect others if you want to get respect. It is never a one sides affair.
- A Country which Respects the Rights of Girl Child/Women. The Divine Trinity has his female counterpart; Saraswati (learning) – Lord Barmha, Lakshmi (wealth) – Lord Vishnu and Parvati (power) – Lord Shiva. All the rituals, especially auspicious ones, are incomplete without women being part of it all. Disrespecting women was construed as the disrespecting the God. All the relationships – mother, wife, daughter, sister, etc are essential for our life. In olden times these relations were considered very reverential. Without these, what is the status of father in relation to mother, wife in relation to husband, daughter in relation to son, sister in relation to brother etc.
A woman was supposed to be the manifestation of Goddess/Shakti and the male was supposed to be incomplete without the female (Shakti) with him. Lord Shiva is incomplete with His Shakti (Maan Parvati) that is why it is called SHIVSHAKTI.
Even in Ramayana times women used to choose their suitors – Maan Sita chose Lord Rama after he broke the Dhanush of Lord Shiva in a sacred ceremony called soambar. Even in Mahabharta Dropati chose Arjuna in a soambar.
In other words, those who want to subjugate women and refuse to give their proper place, they are hypocrites. A simple question: CAN THIS PROCREATION and raising of new GENERATION possible without women? Men and women are the equal partners and ought to be taken as such.
- Self Respect. It is a fact that respect is earned. It is not given to us on the platter for nothing. If I want that others should respect me, it is essential that I respect others. One who knows how to maintain self respect knows the need of respecting others on the basis of quid pro quo. It is synonymous with: Charity begins from home. Even a small child will respond with respect if I treat that child well.
- Respect of Bharat Mata in the Comity of Nations. We are connected with other countries of the world. Anything that happens in one part of the world has its reverberations / repercussions in other parts of the world. It may be economical deceleration, political upheaval, extremists / terrorists strikes / activities, all these have their affects on all the countries.
- If we want to progress, it is a must that we are internally strong. For this to happen, it is a must that we are economically stable, politically strong, militarily strong, whose opinion is taken with a pinch of salt diplomatically, helps the weaker countries with finance and sometimes militarily as done in case of African nations by India many a times.
- Black Money Menace. It has been seen that in order to avoid paying taxes and to escape from queries of sources of black money, people are stashing their ill-gotten monies in the foreign banks in the process, bleeding the country. The money which ought to have been used in job creation, infrastructural creation/improvement, etc are being used by others! Government, in the light of directions of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India, has constituted SIT to unearth black money. This is a welcome step. Lets see if it could show tangible results and bring back the black money which could be used in our country.
- Corruption Free society. One of the impediments that is eating into the very vitals of our society is the hydra headed corruption. We are aware about the scamps and corrupt practices that were used in allotting coal blocks, use of middle man in defence purchases, and currently even the Judiciary has come under attack with some people tarnishing its image. God forbid, this is the wing of our society which should/is respected the most, if it falls prey to corruption then on whom our society will bank on! Wish that our country becomes corruption free one. This is a crying need of the hour as corruption is taking the wheels of progress backward.
- Unquestionable Integrity. I would like all people with unquestionable integrity for upholding the unity and solidarity of India. This is the most essential asset for an individual. If it is in suspect then very existence of ours is in doubt and a life with doubt is fraught with impediments.
- Respect for Each Others Faiths and Beliefs. India has diverse cultural modes. Its different religions, castes, creeds, belief systems, languages etc. If we respect each others’ modes of behavior, then there would be cohesion and brotherhood amongst our country men. When we are united, then no power can subjugate us. For this to happen in real sense of terms, it is important that we respect each other rights.
- Educational Improvement. Education of the masses is one of the important factor for overall health of the country. Care ought to be exercised that students are taught the skills along with the general education so that they ‘earn while they learn’. Skilled and semi-skilled training should be imparted according to the capacity and capability of the student. We are rich in Human Resource. We have to exploit this rich resource for our own benefit. This is also important for avoid brain drain which is presently happening. Our IITs and IIMs are churning out technocrats and management professionals of highest caliber. Their talents should never go waste. Let our Government come forward in absorbing these talents for garnering benefits for our country.
- Economically Strong Country. Now-a-days, economical clout in the comity of nation is very essential. For becoming economically strong, it is a important that all the sectors of the economy; may it be industrial or agricultural should contribute their mite for economic health of the economy. This can only happen when we have inclusive growth and development. Nothing happens in isolation.
- Research and Development (R&D). Due to one reason or the other, this has been experienced that our R&D is just in doldrums. For example, the different projects which are being pursued by DRDO are not fructifying on time or lacking necessary resources (manpower or other resources). For example, the project for producing indigenous fighter aircraft project is just not complete till date. Wish that our R&D matches with best in the world so that we do not be dependent on others for our defence needs or any other crucial needs.
- o Industrial Development takes place. Due to one reason of the other, the industrial development of our country remains almost stagnant or is below par. This is due to lack or resources. A country whose markets are being exploited by foreigners remains industrial backward is really bad. People buy and use Chinese made goods at cheaper rates without any guarantee of their use. Can India not manufacture the same goods for their own people and exploit gigantic market – benefiting the industry and the people both. The profit earned by the owners of the industry could then be pumped for more production and increasing their capacities.
- Agricultural Development is ensured. Due to beggaries of monsoon, the agricultural production remains uncertain. The fear of scanty rain results in increase in prices of food item/vegetables etc creating food inflation. This is especially so in rainy season. The prices of vegetables is sky rocketing. The people do feel a pinch.
- If water management is properly done, then, the deficit created by scarcity of rain could be bridged.
- The Government’s project/ plan of connecting major river could do wonders in this regard.
- Infrastructure Development ought to be a continuous process.
- Imports / Export Policies oriented for improvement of imports and exports. More exports means more foreign currency for the country. More foreign currency could reduce the budge deficit which has become a number one headache for the country.
- Foreign Exchange Reserve to be replenished.
- Fiscal Policies revised as per the need of the hour so that the current rate / value of rupee does not fall as is being happening presently.
- IT Sector to be given boost. India is potentially a soft power giant. But we have to exploit this resource to the hilt as is being done by other countries. We IT experts are proving their mettle in other countries. We are thus losing our human resources and also the benefits which our country ought to have garnered.
- It should never be forgotten that other countries too are improving in this sector. It is a must that this Sector should be given more incentive so that it improves further and earns much needed Foreign Exchange for the country.
- Spiritually Forward Nation. One of my fondest wish is that India may become progressive but with spiritualistic outlook, where people are awakened morally, culturally, aesthetically, progressive and more compassionate. Also keeping all along in that progress – leaving none.
- The above are some of our wish-list which every right thinking Indian would like to have for the overall development of the Bharat of our dream.
It is my fond wish that our next Independent Day should be more progressive in its outlook, self reliant, spiritually awakened and its youth positively oriented for steering the ahead from the choppy waters of deceleration.
Historical perspective is mentioned as under:-
British East India company overpowered /subjugated the local kingdoms with their superior military power in 17th century. They were a force to reckon with by 18th century and spread their tentacles in whole of the country by deceit or through military power. Then after the rebellion of 1857, the British Crown started their direct control over India vide Government of India ACT 1858.
Indian National Congress was formed 1n 1885. Thereafter, started more repressive policies after Rowlatt Act was passed. It followed the call for self rule by Indian people whose patience was being tested. More repressions by the rulers were unleashed on the people of the country. Those who talk of human rights now, their own forefathers had perpetrated much worse human rights violations on Indians and others.
Subsequently, non-violent movement was started by father of the nation – Bapu Gandhiji in the forms of non-cooperation and civil disobedience. Then World War II (WWII) saw still more disturbances and more upsurge for freedom. The violent struggle by the sons of the soil, coupled with non-violent movements forced the Britishers to leave India in 1947 left with a scar of divide into India into India and Pakistan resulting in blood-letting and mayhem. Thus on 15 August 1947, Independence Day resulted.
India got its independence with a lot of supreme sacrifices, we want that these should never be forgotten. We have to ensure that Indian flag flutters majestically, thus creating a warm feeling in us all that this independence has been acquired with difficulty and we have to keep this in mind.