PIECE TOGETHER PEACE
When there is prevalence of pain
When our willpower pulls us down
When suffering knocks our door
When disharmony rules roost
When every blooming moment turns into gloom
When dullness is all pervasive
When happiness is elusive
When disorder results at every step
When negativity rules our mindset
When quiet replaces disquiet
When lack of confidence haunts at every step we take
When our mental state goes into tizzy
When disturbance replaces tranquility
When genuine peace is a far cry
When negative peace is the order of the day
When it becomes difficult to adjust with surrounding
When every hope turns hopelessly off-putting
Then what to do when peace eludes us totally?
Only delving deep into our inner self entirely
Can deliver us from all-pervasive quandary
EXPRESSION OF PEACE & TRANQUILITY
From the expressions on the faces of the people we come across in our daily life, if you try, we can come to know about their state of mind. The adage, face is the index of mind and we can read everything that lies inside them. Anxiety, lack of confidence, and dullness are writ large on their faces. There may be a smile sometimes, here and there, but that too is momentary – apparently true happiness is lacking. We may see very fewer people with calmness along with brimming with self-confidence.
The literal meaning of peace (aman) is quietness, being in harmony, tranquility or without any sort of disorder. In other words, it is a state which is devoid of any disturbance. It is a sort of harmony in the personal relationship in relation to other members of the society.
NON-FULFILLMENT OF OUR DESIRES BRINGS ABOUT LACK OF PEACE
When our desires are not fulfilled, we are in for trouble, meaning, either we are not able to adjust with the environments in which we are living or maybe we are not able adapt to change. Either way, we are sufferers. Then we’ve an agent which affects us more than others is boredom or widespread dullness. This agent creates more negativity than any other agent of change. We must have observed what inner turmoil people experience especially in old age and in retired life when retirees have nothing concrete to do. They do not have disciplined directed life – like getting up on time, going to the office on time and become accustomed to day to day routines thereby remaining busy and escape route from monotony and boredom. I know a person, who wanted to enjoy his retired life peacefully with nothing to do but enjoy and while away his time. I tried to convince him to remain busy in some pursuit but he did not care. But within a short period of two years after his retirement he died. He died, perhaps, due to boredom.
CONTROL OF MIND AND CREATION OF PEACE
Reigning in our mind brings about peace, purity, tranquility beside the thoughts which are free from any delusions. It is bereft of any yearning for anything unreasonable. We live holistically and naturally with total detachment – good or bad situations do not imbalance us.
INNER STRENGTH AND TOTAL PEACE
For reaching a state of permanent peace and subsequently bliss, we’ve to explore our inner self and synergize our efforts to make a huge difference and earn peace and tranquility. This will not only bring about peace and also we would be able to know the true nature of our soul. Essentially, the eternal peace or bliss is hidden deep into inner self. It is just like a wave in the sea when the wave has passed, there is the prevalence of stillness. We remain absorbed in our own state of affairs and think that only external life is the best one – enjoying the fruits of work, earning our livelihood and then make merry – but this is not an eternal peace, maybe it is buying some peace, a temporary phase.
REMOVAL OF INNER CONFLICTS BRINGS IN ITS WAKE LASTING PEACE
But this is the temporary phenomenon in the real sense of terms. Total realization of happiness comes when we delve deep into our system and do everything which may help us gain calmness and tranquility. But it is easier said than done because are inner conflicts and contradictions which have to be fought with us first. Having resolved these inner divergences, we can realize our goal of inner peace. It should be realized that temporary peace which is acquired from external sources is no peace at all. It is impermanent one. For eternal peace, we have not to go away from ourselves. It lies within us.
Sikh thought agrees that: With pain and suffering genuine peace is not possible and that peace is not necessarily the absence of war.
PEACE BETWEEN COUNTRIES
In order to live peacefully at our home, we have to have peace in our immediate neighborhood. The same analogy could be made applicable in relation to the peaceful co-existence with our neighboring countries. Nothing should be done which may disturb the peace of others. It could be non-use of offensive language to bully others, hedge-monistic attitude besides respecting the unity and integrity of others. What is happening in our neighborhood is a pointer to all this. Twist to irony comes to fore when some countries want to lord over other countries and adopt big-brotherly attitude by intimidating other countries by raising trade barriers or dumping goods to earn foreign exchange. All these reckless tactics are enemies of peace. Although, now with the deterrence of atomic weapons looming large, although positive peace is elusive and hard to get. Negative peace prevails on the basis of the dictum: Peace flows through the barrel of the gun.
But I subscribe to the sagacity enunciated in Holy Bible: Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
· PEACE IS INDIVIDUALIST OR SUBJECTIVE IN NATURE. Peace of mind is an individualist in nature. When an individual does not feel let down or feel slighted by any event which otherwise could have implications on the emotional plane but concerned person’s modesty remains in the best of elements. There are people at high places who would like to slight or slender or pull others down, irrationally, in front of others, with an aim to show off without thinking about others’ sensibilities. Bossing around to a limit is alright but when it crosses a set limit bordering on insulting others, it tapers off the peace of others.
· TOTAL DETACHMENT IS THE SURE WAY OF ACHIEVING EQUANIMITY. At best, if we remain attached to the fruits of our Karma, then, sure enough, when the result is not appropriate to our likings, we may feel disappointed, leading to unreasonable and unpredictable consequences. Remaining detached results in remaining prepared for any consequences; failure or successful fructification hardly makes difference to our balance of mind, in other words, peace, tranquil, nothing disturbs our mental equilibrium. This is in line with the wisdom contained in Bhagwad Gita: Perform all thy actions with mind concentrated on the Divine, renouncing attachment and looking upon success and failure with an equal eye. Spirituality implies equanimity.
· CHANGE OF ATTITUDE FROM NEGATIVE TO POSITIVE IS A SPIRIT OF VITALITY. If we draw out and utilize our internal dynamism/mechanism or inherent potential, then, we can have self-realization or self-awareness. Having attained self -awareness, we imbibe all the positive traits by which we direct all our energies for realizing the purpose of our life. Know about our Bhagwanji by leading a righteousness life, feeling pain when somebody of our companion feels so, This realization brings us in close proximity with our Creator. Nothing makes us negative in our sojourn of life, hurdles for us are the stepping stones for ultimate success. Everything that we transact is done with the active participation of our Prabhuji. No hold barred. Peace so attained through personal experiences is a permanent one.
· KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING ENLIGHTENMENT ENHANCES PEACE. Knowledge is conscious awareness or understanding of a subject matter that is taken in hand. Knowledge or understanding may be with regard to the information and descriptions thereof about the origin of the thing, its usefulness and subsequently connection with other objects of nature and beyond. During this information gathering, we come across so many hurdles, experience them in different space and time. After understanding the thing at hand may be theoretical and practical in nature. Complete understanding of a thing in hand gives us leeway to act accordingly. Those who are self-aware know how best to use the knowledge gained under different circumstances to reach to a conclusion for a healthy living with peaceful co-existence with the person concerned and the surrounding in which that person is living.
· EGO IS THE IMPEDIMENT OF PEACE OF MIND. When we are engulfed with ego then we may get some respite momentarily but ego is the enemy of permanent peace.
· PAIN AND PLEASURE PART OF OUR LIFE. It should never be forgotten that admix of pain and pleasure are part of our life. When the permanent balance is established then we can have permanent peace.
Conclusively, it could rightly be said that willpower (nishtha) and meditation (bhakti) with focused mind help establish the abode of our Bhagwan Ji in our inner self and thereby permanent peace.