NOVEMBER 12TH, 2019
550TH BIRTH DAY ANNIVERSARY (PRAKASH UTSAV) ON 12TH NOVEMBER 2019
(OUR HEARTIEST FELICITATIONS TO ALL ON GURU NANAK DEV JI’ MAHARAJ
Guru Sri Nanak Dev Ji – (1469-1539 CE)
The Founder of Sikhism & The First of the Sikh Gurus
OPENING OF KARTARPUR SAHIB CORRIDOR IS A WELCOME STEP ON THIS OCCASION
What a wonderful occasion, a holiest one at that to celebrate!
Than theThe Birthday of our revered Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj
The most loved one, the travelled extensively
That too during those days
With no communication and connectivity
Even bereft of any transport facilities
Not only to all corners of Bharat it its entirety
But also the foreign lands
Like Sri Lanka, China, Iraq and many others
Wherever he went
Along with his two disciples
One Muslim named Bhai Mardana Ji
Born to Marasi couple named Badhra Ji & Lakkho Ji
And the other one a Hindu named Bhai Bala Ji
Both being the longtime disciples of Guru Ji
Spread the Divine Message
Of love of humanity without bias
And against ritualistic customs
Rampant during those days, so extensively
Besides having discourses and interactions
With Saints and Sufis
And presented his points of view
Giving all the reasoning and logics
And changed the eco-system wherever he put his Lotus Feet
Guru Nanak Dev Ji, our most revered Guru
An embodiment of Supreme Being
A harbinger of deliverance
From our pains and sufferings
Through His gems of preaching
A Messiah who made a huge difference
In our viewpoints on spiritual values
And showed a clear cut path to the humans
By meditating on Divine Name – EK NAAM
With all the devotion
Thus remove the all pervading ignorance
With his teachings, so enlightening indeed
So simple to follow by ordinary humans even.
His birthday is celebrated as Prakash Utsav or Guru Purb
In essence, life is a festival (Utsav or Purb) of highest order
A Day of immense value for us all
For self-realization through love, faith and absolute devotion
Besides rendering assistance to the fellow beings without any expectation
And gain knowledge about the Divine Truth for our liberation
By realization of Divine within
By the union with the Divine
And attain Divine Peace within
Which is the sole purpose of humans
Thus realize the aim of Guru Granth Sahib.
Kartarpur Sahib located in Pakistan is being opened
On this day, so pious
For the people to pay homage
To the Supreme Guru
Who while he was on this beautiful planet
Changed the lives of millions with his reasonableness and wisdom
His preaching have created wide-reaching positive effects on masses.
On the Gurupurb Day Diwan
Starts early in the morning hours
And hymns from Guru Granth Sahib are sung
Followed by discourses and prayers (Ardas)
And finally Prashad in lines (Pangat)
By the devout (Sangat)
Called Langar served to all alike
People share it with great reverence
And make this day; a day to reminisce–
On the most auspicious full moon day – Pooranmashi
At a village named Rai-Bhoi-Di-Talwandi
Now known as Nanakana Sahib
In the month of Kartik
15th day of April in the year 1469
When our most revered Baba Nanak Ji was born
To father Baba Kalu & Mother Tripta
No one but our beloved Akalpurakh (God)
His observable mission for this Special Messenger
Of spreading ‘EK NAAM’S’ pious Message
And that such a person will make huge difference
For causes most dear to the society in general
Indeed a Shining Star on the horizon was born!
Of the Sikhs & the ones who believe in(Khalas) purity
Way of living now or in future with certainty
Gurupurb lasts for three days
A pious Akhand Path in all Gurudwaras
With organization of Nagar kirtan
Procession (Kirtni Jatha) is led by Pious Fives
(Panj Piyaras – the Beloved Ones)
With Holiest Sri Guru Granth Sahib kept on the Palanquin
Hymns from It purifies the environs the most
Spreading Its Message – the most fragrant
Far and wide making the gentry mesmerized
Gatka Parties displaying their artistry
With their traditional weapons.
Babaji – the most benevolent of all
Our earnest prayer to Thee our beloved One
Let the spirit of this day
Remain echoing in our memory
Spreading Thy Universal Message
Of Uniting the Humans without bias
And ridding society of all ills and malice
Engendering brotherly feelings amongst all
And make our life sublime.
GURU NANAK DEV JI’S 550TH BIRTH ANNIVERSARY
The Supreme Lord sends His Messengers to this earth to spread His Message so that such Messengers make difference with their preaching to the world at large and change their lives. His teachings are so relevant that there is a definitive imprint of His teachings on the psyche of people and that is why His influence remains centuries after centuries. Those sincere devotees who have attained the certain level of spirituality can see the Divine Vision.
Guru Nanak Gurpurb also called Guru Nanak Prakash Utsav or Guru Nanak Jayanti is celebrated with gaiety and enthusiasm by all those who know about Guru Nanak Dev’s contribution to the humanity in general with His preaching.
On this day Prabhat Pheris (early morning processions or congregations) which are taken from the Gurdwaras in the early morning itself and cover almost all the lanes and by-lanes in the vicinity. People sing hymns in His glory in this procession.There is air of tranquility and peace in the environs around these processions.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji was born on 15th April 1469 at Rai Bhoi-di-Talwandi of Shekhopura, presently in Pakistan. He was married to Sulakhani the daughter of Mool Chand of Pakhoke Randhawe village of Gurdaspur and had two sons named Shri Chand and Lakhmi Das.
Guru Nanak Deve Ji defines the traits of Divine Lord as: There is but One all-embracing and all-powerful Divinity, who manifests Himself first in the shape of all sacred words and then through the whole created Universe – Ik Onkar Sat Naam, Kartaa Purakh Nibhou Nirveir Akaal Moorat Ajoonee Saibha Bhaug Gur Parsaad. This is also termed as the Mool Mantra.
Divine Lord also is: The One who was real and self-existent before all Creations, who was real through all ages (Yugas), who is real and true now and who shall be true and self-existent for all times to come. (Aad Sach, Jugaad Sach, Heibhee Sach Hanak Hosee bhee Sach).
HIS LIFE SPANS FROM 1469 – 1539 A.D.
History is the guide to tell us that during this period many of the spiritualistic, cultural and progressive ideas came to the fore and fructified owing to the proactive role of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. These ideas are very much relevant for us to follow and get experiences in our lives. One thing unique in these ideas is that these are practical in nature and realistic; not based on mysticism and ritualistic. In many of His thoughts and deeds, during His sojourn to various parts of India and even in foreign lands, sheds light on His unstinted and clear philosophy that AKALPURAKH – SAT NAAM SRI WAHE GURU is the only TRUTH, a Truth which could be proved anywhere anytime.
THE PREACHING OF GURU NANAK DEV JI
• The universal message of Guru Nanak Dev Ji was to reach a common understanding through dialogue and carry all along by understanding others viewpoints too without imposing his viewpoints on others.
• The human body is made of five elements; air, water, fire, earth and sky and within subtle body lives mind which remains in perpetual instability. The body consists of nine outlets and there is also the tenth one which is attained through intense meditation on Divine Naam. This way ego is destroyed and man merges with Divine.
• The old dogmas and unnecessary rituals prevailing amongst the masses gave place to progressive ideas. Service (Seva) and prayers (Simran) should be given more credence.
• The Divine pervades within the body which is termed as Soul (Atma). It enables the body to perform its functions. This Divine Power pervades in the Universe called as Universal Soul.
• He propagated the idea of goodwill and welfare of all without bias – for him all are the creations of Akalpurakh and therefore there should not be any difference on the basis of religion of caste.
• The God is the Divine Husband of Creation and all creatures are His brides to whom He looks after without bias.
• He taught that everybody should be truthful in words and deeds.
• Three miseries of humans are: miseries of mind, physical ailments due to bad deeds and miseries created by nature. These could be removed by God through realization of Truth by complete devotation.
• His preaching resulted in the intellectual and spiritual renaissance of the masses in general.
• Humanism was given more credence with the idea that human beings are considered good or bad according to the deeds one performs and not on the basis of birth, caste or colour or region.
• Religion should create harmony and not dissensions and hurdles in the path of masses.
• Complete surrender to the will of God for the spiritual forward march should be pursued.
• He taught the philosophy of ONE GOD – EK NAAM.
• Bad traits such as ego, anger, greed, attachment, and lust should be shunned from our midst in order to lead a balanced life.
• We should always be in the quest/pursuit of knowledge for our enlightenment. Knowledge helps us to attain salvation too.
The Holy Gurbani is a sacred treasure and has universal appeal, every verse (Shloka) while recited suffuses and fills with fragrance in the environment it is spoken and cures the illness of our body, mind and soul. Almost all the prayers are for the praise of our Akalpurakh in one form or other.
For Example: Gun Biant Kimat Nahi Pae!! Nanak Jis Bhavai! Tis Lae Malae!
Endless are His virtuous qualities; His worth cannot be appraised. O Nanak, one who pleases Him is united with Him.
This is the holiest day in the history of Sikhism. It is celebrated not only by Sikhs but also by all those who believe in His Holy Words. Akhand Path, non-stop recitation from Guru Granth Sahibji, Asa Di Var (Collection of 24 Stanzas written by the revered Guruji). Gurdwaras are specially decorated tastefully on this occasion.
Devout pay respectful tributes to Sri Guru Nanak Devji and remember His contributions for the spiritual upliftment of the common masses and rid them from unnecessary rituals that prevailed.
Equality of all the faiths and religions is a reality. His disciples were from all castes and creeds.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji’s premise was that those who do not know the true meaning of scriptures, cannot differentiate between good and bad; are steeped in egocentric pursuits. These people are truly the ignorant ones. There is no exaggeration in saying that main thrust of Guru Ki Bani is to remove ignorance, superstition and complex customs bedeviling the masses This also helped in spreading the message of goodwill besides engendering brotherly feelings amongst them without any distinction. Guru Nanak’s stellar contribution is for the wellness of the humanity as a whole and for the spread of this message, He traveled length and breadth of our country and abroad.
All the incarnations Messengers of God suffered while they were living on this earth because people at that time could not understand them. Such incarnations suffered so that we may learn the lesson for a peaceful co-existence between all humans:
GURU NANAK PREACHING IS MORE RELEVANT NOW THAN EVER
While pains and sufferings are, in essence, part and parcel of our life but when it is inflicted by our own brethren then it is more painful. What has been happening around the world now is nothing but painful. Guru Nanak has himself mentioned this “Unto whom should I tie up and give the bundle of my pains? The whole world is suffering from pain and suffering. Wherever I see loads of pain and suffering – NANAK DUKHYA SAAB SANSAR.
Guru Nanak traverses lengths and breadths of India and in the foreign lands, so he mentioned about the ‘pain across the globe. This pain and suffering could be ameliorated through meditation, he mentioned. “Remembering Him in meditation, a profound peace is obtained. Oaub and suffering will not touch you at all – remain in the sanctuary of God and no pain and suffering will ever touch you at all.
All the humans are our Creator’s creations but they are born under different circumstances and different conditions and different locations. But from the same LIGHT, we are created. Then why people we interpret scriptural inscription differently. It really pains me immensely.
Prophet Mohammad suffered immensely at the hands of his opponents in Makkah and in other places like Al-Tayf and Madina who knew His exceptional intelligence and integrity. Although he was bestowed with very good business, a happy family and helpful relatives yet he preferred the path of pains and sufferings. His opponents raised every conceivable hurdle in His path but he did not care about His sufferings but wiped off the tears of downtroddens. Although like Christ, He forgave them and followed Allah ordained path for the welfare of mankind. He gave credence to compassion and kindness for the needy.
JESUS CHRIST PREACHING
• Jesus Christ preached the importance of having compassion for our fellow beings. He taught that kindhearted feelings should be there even for our enemies, Jesus was born in 7 – 2 BC and was crucified in 30-33 AD in Jerusalem on the orders of the Roman prefect, Pontius Pilate. He was born in Nazareth, Galilee to Parents Marry & Joseph. During his lifetime too he had to suffer at the hands of opponents on one pretext or other.
Christ preached forgiveness and mercy. He even forgave those who harmed him immensely. No ill-feelings for anyone absolutely that is the message given:
Jesus was the one who had won victory against material consciousness. He exists in the hearts and minds of His followers. He said, ‘I do nothing of myself, but as my Father hath taught me.’ Christians including numberless others who have indomitable belief in His preaching shun delusions and follow His ideals. His presence is felt through his teachings. Those who have self-realization know that in every speck of cosmos Christ Consciousness exists but only those who have vision can experience this. Christ Consciousness is a part of Cosmic Consciousness should never be lost sight of by us humans.
His teachings are so exhaustive, yet, if we care to follow the ones mentioned below, we can make our lives sublime.
• Lord Krishna – the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who appeared on this earth as the Avtar (incarnation of Lord Vishnu) more than 5,000 years ago had to put put up with so many pains and sufferings firstly at the hands of Demon King Kamsa (the most demonist of all Bhoja dynasty. Subsequently faced evils in the form of demons like Trnavarta, Bakasura, Aghasura, Dhenuksura, Pralambasura, Kesi in the form of the horse, besides serpent Kaliya to whom he forgave and finally besides serpent Kaliya to whom he forgave. So much so was he disturbed by the demons that for the safety of his subjects he had to establish his abode at Dwarka suffused with fortification etc. In Mahabharata, Lod Krishna played a stellar role in the annihilation of evil in the form of Dhritarashtra and his sons especially Duryodhana/ Though the battle between Kauravas and Pandavas took a heavy toll yet truth won and evil perpetrated and pampered by Kauravas was destroyed ultimately.
• Lord Rama an epitome of Dharma and peace. He was to be carbonated as King of Ayodhya but had to go for exile for 14 long years. During exile, he killed many demons who disturbed the hermits in their meditation. His consort Sita was abducted with deception by the demon king Ravana who represented evil. There was a ferocious battle between the two armies of Lord Rama and Ravana where the evil of Ravana was defeated.
• Lord Budha who epitomized non-violence and peace throughout his life and spread his message of fair-play and tolerance through his disciples too faced many hurdles initially from his opponents while spreading the message of love and affection. Even his death is death after consuming a special delicacy offered by his generous host, the remains of which were buried.
It goes to show that our most revered ones suffered at the hands of their opponents then what we are? We should actually learn lessons out of their sufferings/sacrifices and live joyously and with empathy.
PROFOUND LESSONS THAT WE HUMAN SHOULD GET FROM THE MESSENGERS AND GOD INCARNATIONS
We woefully opine that we are suffering pains at the hands of our opponents (those who do not agree with our viewpoints) just conveniently forgetting the untold sufferings undergone by the Messengers of God.
• Bestow us enlightenment by removing ignorance through spread of knowledge.
• The world of ours is in constant struggle between good and evil.. This is due to thrusting our opinions on others forcefully and consequent struggle. Then differing people resort to disproportionate violence result in loss of precious lives. No religion recommends this.
• There is a fight between the truth and falsehood. This difference may be due to the different interpretation of scriptures but the basic thrust of all religious scriptures is good of humanity as a whole without bias and feelings of compassion, empathy, cooperation, brotherhood, and goodwill to be encouraged between all humans.
• There are those who are the oppressor and those who are oppressed. The oppressor should introspect about his/her origin and should never identify himself/herself different from others.
• Bad things could happen to good ones. This is a fact, bad things have happened to the good people but when this injustice should stop and message of goodness that is codified in all the religious texts made applicable in letter and spirit? The sooner this happens the better for the humanity as a whole. No human loss, please.
• We should never forget that we have a common Creator meaning we are commonly related to our Him. Then why bloodletting for temporary gain – aagain which pains even our Creator!
• All the main scriptures exhort us for co-existing with mutual cooperation and with goodwill then why misunderstanding and killing? Where all this will lead the humanity?
• Be that as it may, let’s forget our small differences and live as creation created by our ONE Creator.
• The message of communal harmony that Guru Nanak Dev Ji gave should be followed by all the societies so as to remove the discriminations in the societies. He had his disciples from hindu and Muslim – a clear message of communal harmony which is the need of the hour.