SIGNIFICANCE OF EKADASHI DAY FASTING TO PURIFY BODY, MIND AND SOUL WITH SPECIAL REFEENCE TO NIRJALA EKADASHI
Today is the Nirjal Ekadashi day. It is the most pious day. NIRJALEKADASHI is known to have immense pominence of all the Ekadshis put together. It is said that keeping fast today with penance and prayers which accompany with the fast gives the bounties of Lord Vishnu. Keeping fast today is equivalent to 24 fasts. Today we worship the God of evolution; Lord Vishnu. If we fast on this by doing all the good Karmic deeds including charities to the needy people, then, the graces of Lord Vishnu remain on us.
IT IS ALSO TERMED AS BHIM EKADASHI
Legend have it that all the four bothers of Pandavas (Yudhrishtra, Bhima, Arjuna, Nakul and Sehdeva) including their mother Kunti were instructed by Rishi Ved Vayasa (The author of Epic Mahabharta) to keep fast today by observance of all the rituations. Rishi Vayasa mentioned that those who fast on this day get the privileges and bounties of LORD VISHNU AND LORDESS LAKSHMI. The fast could also make them the candidate for Heaven at the Lotus Feet of LORD VISHNU. All could resist the temptation of eating except Bhima (with his big bulk). He could not resist his hunger and keeping fast was not possible for him. But Rishi Vayasa prevailed upon Bhima to keep fast on this particula day; which he did and thus got the blessings of LORD VISHNU and Lordess Lakshmi. Bhima kept fast by observing all the conditions for the fast today and got the blessings of the benevolent Lord VISHNU SHRI HARI. IT IS ALSO TERMED AS BHIM SENI EKADASHI.
Vishnu Gyatri Mantri could also be recited for getting the bounties of the Lord. Or OM NAMON BHAGWATE VASU DEV AYE NAMON. Including the following Mantra
Om jaya Jagadīśha hare
Swami Jai Jagdish hare
Bhakta janoṅ ke saṅkat
Dās janoṅ ke saṅkat
Kṣaṇa meṅ dūr kare
Om jai Jagadīśh hare
Jo dhyāve phal pāve
Dukh binase mana kā
Swāmī dukh binase man kā
Sukha samptī ghara āve
Sukha sampatī ghara āve
Kaṣṭa miṭe tana kā
Om jaya Jagadīśa hare……………….
In Ekadashi, a devotee does not take food. Takes fruits and milk that too in a limited quantity. Food habits differ from one area to another. I and my wife endeavoured to keep purity in thoughts and deeds. The purpose is to keep purity in thoughts, body and soul. The next day on 6th June 2017, there was a Preeti Bhoj or Lungar or community feast which was the culmination of Ekadashi Fast.
Nirjal (without intake of water) Ekadshi is the day when the devotees observe fast without taking not even a drop of water for the entire day. It is the day when the devotees go the temples and worship Lord Vishnu with purity in mind and body. Observance of fast is accompanied with giving charities in the form of food items and juices to the people. As this fast falls in summer season, people distribute cold drinks.
SIGNIFICANCE OF EKADASHI DAY FASTING TO PURIFY BODY, MIND, AND SOUL
Relevance of Ekadashi occurs on the eleventh day of the lunar cycle (both full and new moon) It happens twice in a month according to Hindu Calendar – the waxing phase or Shukla Paksha and fading moon called Krishna Paksha. There are 24 Ekadashis in a Calendar year and there are two more Ekadashis that take place in a lunar leap year. Ekdashi Day is considered as the most spiritual event when strict fasting is observed from early morning to the next day morning.
Ekadashi is one of the prominent occasions which if observed with detachment and as per prescribed rituals helps in cleansing our sins as well as the sins of our nears and dears. Ekadashi Moksha (Moksha means liberation) is a most special and most auspicious occasion. On this day Lord Krishna (Vishu’s Incarnation – Avtara) delivered His Bhagwad Gita recital to Dhanushdhari Arjuna when both the armies of Pandvas and Kauravas were facing each others in Kurukeshtra battle field. Every specific activities performed on this day has its own significance and benefits accrued to us provided the fasting is observed strictly in accordance with scriptural norms.
ORIGIN OF EKADASHI
In Satya Yuga, Lord Vishnu had a long-drawn-out battle with demon named Mura. Due to the protracted battle, Lond Vishnu got tired as a result of which He tiredness he went to sleep. Mura was waiting for this occasion. He pounced on Lord Vishnu for killing Him. Then a damsel appeared from the body of Lord Vishnu who fought a pitched battle with Mura and killed him. She was actually Mahashakti who appeared on 11th day of fading moon thus Lord Vishnu named her Ekadashi. He also bestowed her the boon that whosoever fasts on this day would be free off the sins and also will have moksha finally.
SIGNIFICANCE OF EKADASHI DAY FAST
The religious rituals, given in the sacred Pranas / Vedic scriptures, and also referred to as Hari’s Day. their strict observance thereof helps the devotees in many ways than body, one.
- Observance of fast cleanses our body, mind and soul.
- It helps alleviating us in spiritual ladder.
- Its strict observance can help us attain Moksha or Liberation from pangs of birth and deaths.
- It can transform our Kukarma (Bad Karma) into good Karmas thus paving the way for an aspirant to attain the traits of detachment, the mention of which has been amply made in Bhagwad Gita. Action performed without consideration the fruits or results of that action could help us attain Liberation.
- Anybody observing the Ekadashi with all the focus at his/her command could remove that person’s sufferings.
- As this day is termed as the Lord Hari’s day, its observance could alleviate the sufferings of an individual.
- While the body and mind is cleansed, it is possible to ward off from the three sins: lust, greed and anger.
- Fasting on this auspicious day is bereft of any external pressures. This day passes both in peace and harmony including inculcation of good habits.
- As the people who fast keep away from solid grain foods and take light diet consisting of milk products, dry fruits and fruits, we feel light and our digestive system too works wonders as it provides due rest to our system thus keeps our health in fine fettle. Healthy eating even for a day fortnightly can repair our system.
- As we are aware, the gravitational pull of the moon influences the oceans in the form of high and low tides hence Intake of less food items and more of liquid Ekadashi Day helps in influencing us biologically too. It has been practically observed by the proponents who fast sincerely – the diseases like blood pressure, insomnia, depression, gastric problems etc could be cured with fasting. Observance of such fasts have obviously helped me in maintaining good health and wellness.
- While we fast on this day, we also meditate thus not only helping us spiritually but also enhancing the chances of connectivity with God.
- It has also been felt that the benefits of Ekadashi fasting and all the purity and sincerity observed on this day to the individual concerned but also to his/her family members.
- Ekadashi fasting helps in self awareness simply because of individual observance of fast strictly in accordance with scriptures since self realization results from self-disciplinary efforts.
- Self awareness resulting from strict observing converts conviction into practical experience.
- We learn how to control our unethical desires and lead a life full of compassion.
- Canvas of our spirituality enhances with the observance of Ekadashi Fast.