The convictions we hold dear
The values we imbibe and follow with care
The principles we practice
Help form our moral fiber
The foundation of which are laid by the beliefs we have.
Self-belief is formed
Through continuous personal experiences
Where every failing
Or an uncontrolled free-fall
Gives us will to stand again
And face challenges
With vigor yet again.
The beliefs are the bulwarks
Within which we form our opinions
These are the ones
Which we pursue
And make our life purposeful despite pitfalls.
Universal acclaimed beliefs
Are the ones which are clear as day
Since there is no doubt or confusion about these
Even though there may
Or may not be any solid proof to sustain
Of their existence, in actual practice.
What we believe with utmost sincerity happens!
Since limiting ourselves
Is a self-defeating act
And creates log-jam
For further move ahead.
Our beliefs are the values or convictions or principles or standards of behavior primarily based on our judgment of what is important for us in life. Beliefs also are referred to as the convictions or acceptance that something exists and is true, especially with or without proof. Then there are beliefs which help us how best to proceed in life – these are positive beliefs.
UNIVERSALLY ACCEPTED BELIEFS
As far as universally accepted or acclaimed truths or actualities are concerned, there is no doubt since these are with crystal clear proof for their being truthful. Meaning there is rigidity in accepting those beliefs to be true as we take them as our own without even a shred of reservation.
In essence, there are some events and happenings which we accept as true even though there is no proof or evidence of its actual existence or happening. But in actual practice, one thing is sure, we all are what we believe. If we believe we are capable of doing something and put in sincere hard work towards to accomplish or acquire that then all the elements in the universe combine in assisting us.
In Bhagwad Gita it has rightly been said: ‘Man is made by his belief, as he believes so he becomes’.
Then when a person is shown an evidence or proof of some variation in the existing belief, there are people who stick to their existing beliefs with proof or evidence notwithstanding. This rigidity in belief differs from person to person.
These beliefs are accepted by every normal person, considered as positive belief and accepted without any hesitation. These are:-
• We are the product of our own beliefs.
• Limiting yourself is against law of nature.
• Our Karma is a prime mover of our existence.
• Our empirical experiences teach us much.
• With self-assurance comes with self-awareness.
• With self-belief and solid belief on God can deliver us from piquant situations.
• Be truthful if you want to succeed in life.
• Love begets love.
• We’ve to work in order to succeed – there are no shortcuts in life.
• Silence speaks more than our words.
• Staying calm while facing any emergency helps.
• Our failures teach us more than our successes.
• Our traditional beliefs are learned from our family.
• Formal and informal institutions teach us how best to live our life.
• Our empirical or practical experiences teach us how best to adjust in life.
• We should not be reactive in any situation or condition.
• All the negative traits such as jealousy, malice, greed, anger and to be reactive nip our creative instincts.
• Our culture and traditions influence our life.
• Pros and cons should be accepted as given in our life.
• Adversity is a great teacher.
• Everything happens for a reason.
• Our healthy criticism and even doubt should be taken with a grain of salt.
• When you cry, you cry alone but when you laugh everybody will laugh with you – be steadfast with time everything will get better.
- There are umpteenth self-belief positive thoughts which can help us live a meaningful life and deliver us of any piquant situation in which we willy-nilly engross or entangle ourselves. In other words, adversities would certainly be there but deliverance from these would also be there with self-belief.
- Then there are negative beliefs which can pull us down and reduce our self-assurance and inculcate insecurities. These are:-
• I am a born loser and cannot improve myself.
• Destructive criticism could adversely impact our healthy growth.
• I may not perform better this time too.
• Our failings distract us.
• Fearing to take risk in life.
• Examination and result related trepidations.
• I shall never improve.
• Fear of darkness.
• Fear of death.
• I am worthless.
• I am introvert.
• Everybody treats me badly.
• I am below par.
• To be stony silent rather than stoic silent.
In fact belief is to accept something as true even though there may or may not be any tangible evidence about its existence. We believe in the existence of God even though we may have seen Him in person. But still there are people who have contrarian views on this. It shows that our beliefs are subjective.
INDOMITABLE BELIEF IN GOD
Belief is to have total trust in God’s existence and His will. It is also a fact that we have to believe the teachings and wisdom contained in religious texts because these contain ocean of knowledge and wisdom which is worth emulation by humans for living a sublime life.
In Bible, it has been articulated that our belief (Convictions, principles, trust etc) has been given significance. It has been mentioned that we should love God, love our neighbor as we love ourselves, forgive the person who has wronged you, pray God to forgive your sins through repentance etc. Whatever we do, we’ve to be truthful and not be two-faced since dual role cannot bring us any dividends. If we have this belief in our own self, then, nothing can go amiss in our life.
It could be explained that there two basic facts for acceptance of a belief: truth about the belief is the acceptance of an authority depending on the power of authority and secondly truth of facts based on empirical and validated with proof which is accepted without doubt.
Our beliefs could be summarized as:-
SELF-BELIEF CREATED THROUGH PERSONAL INVOLVEMENT
There is a always a way out to come out of a problem with sincere effort which could be termed as self-belief acquired empirically or through trial and error method or through total involvement.
IT IS NOT THAT WE ALWAYS WOULD BE SUCCESSFUL IN OUR ENDEAVOUR
We know that everybody puts in his/her efforts the best way possible under the circumstances in which he/she is placed. This belief spurs us to move ahead in life. But still there are times our efforts do not fructify. We can try again and succeed. This comes through self-belief. It could be construed that failure could be taken as stepping stone for success. Meaning, failure is an instrument of learning for ensuring success.
EVERY PERSONS PUTS IN HIS EFFORTS UNDER THE CIRSUMSTANCE IN WHICH ONE IS PLACED
This is a known fact that everybody tries his best in order to get the best.
EVERYBODY SPECIALISES IN ONE ASPECT OR OTHER
It is a fact that every person is unique in his/her capability. Meaning no two individuals are same in his/her potential. What person A can perform may not be possible by person B. All five fingers are not equal but each one has its unique function.
BELIEF THAT WE SHOULD GET IMPROVEMENT ON DAY TO DAY BASIS
It should be our endeavour to improve ourselves on daily basis based on our day to day experience in life. A day wasted without sincere effort cannot be retrieved. Hence day dreaming will not help but putting our dreams in reality makes a huge difference.
WORKING WITH IMPERFECTIONS
It is a fact that everybody cannot be perfect since everybody differs in his/her efforts. Some are slow starters and some are workaholic in order to enhance their knowledge. Meaning potentiality is subjective in nature. Then there are the ones who put in their best with imperfections. It means self-belief is created by putting their best under different set of situations.
BELIEF THAT WE CAN GAIN KNOWLEDGE FROM BIRTH TO OUR END (CREDLE TO GRAVE)
We should have belief that we can learn new things from birth till our last day. We can learn from even a small kid if we care to learn. Nothing should stand in our path in getting something new every moment of our lifetime.
BELIEF THAT THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE GOT THROUGH HARD WORK AND PERSISTENCE
It is an empirical fact and belief that a thing which is acquired through persistence, perseverance and not through day-dreaming. Mere dreaming about a mission but doing nothing about to acquire will take us nowhere. Belief could originate from an individual’s own experience, learning from the previous experiences even from failings and finally having belief on the God. Conviction or acceptance that something is truly is there for us and belief that it will fructify makes a huge difference.
You must be logged in to post a comment.