GURU NANAK DEV JI’S BIRTHDAY (PRAKASH DIVAS) ON 25TH NOVEMBER 2016
(MY HEARTIEST FELICITATIONS TO ALL ON PRAKASH DIVAS)
GURUPURB – A HOLY DAY TO REMEMBER
Guru through His preaching changes our lives to perfection
Purb / Parva – a Sanskrit word meaning celebration
Factually, life is a festival (Purb) of highest order
It may be on the eve of some festivals
Or on the anniversary of supreme sacrifices
To uphold commoners’ causes
Or Prakash Divas
A Day of Enlightenment considered in esteem by us.
On the most auspicious full moon day – Pooranmashi
At a village named Rai-Bhoi-Di-Talwandi
Now known as Nanakana Sahib
In the month of Kartik
15th day of April in the year 1469
When our most revered Baba Nanak Ji was born
To father Baba Kalu & Mother Tripta
No one but our beloved Akalpurakh (Lord)
His observable mission for this Special Messenger
Of spreading ‘IK NAAM’S’ pious Message
And that such a person will make huge difference
For causes most dear to society in general
Indeed a Shining Star on the horizon!
Observance of holy days and celebration of anniversaries
Linkage of which is an important feature
Of the Sikhs & the ones who believe in (Khalas) purity
Way of living now or in future with certainty
Gurupurb lasts for three days
A pious Akhand Path in Gurudwaras
With organization of Nagarkirtans
Procession (Kirtni Jatha) is led by Pious Fives (Panj Piyaras)
With Holiest Sri Guru Granth Sahib on the Palanquin
Hymns from It purifies the environs
Spreading Its Message – the most fragrant
Far and wide making the gentry mesmerized
Gatka Parties displaying their artistry
With their traditional weapons.
On the Gurupurb Day Diwan
Starts early in the morn hours
And hymns from Guru Granth Sahib are sung
Followed by discourses and prayers (Ardas)
And finally Prashadha in lines (Pangat)
By the devout (Sangat)
Called langar served to all alike
People share it with great reverence
And make this day; a day to reminisce.
O! our Babaji – the most benevolent of all
Our earnest prayer to Thee our beloved One
Let the spirit of this day
Remain echoing in our memory
Spreading Thy Universal Message
Of Uniting the Humans without bias
And ridding society of all ills and malice
Engendering brotherly feelings amongst all.
GURU NANAK DEV JI & HIS TEACHINGS / SUFFERINGS UNDERGONE BY THE MESSENGERS OF GOD AND LESSONS THEREOF
Guru Nanak Gurpurb, also called Guru Nanak Prakash Utsav or Guru Nanak Jayanti is celebrated with gaiety and enthusiasm by all those who know about His contribution to the humanity in general. He was born on 15th April 1469 at Rai Bhoi-di-Talwandi of Shekhopura now in Pakistan. His life spans from 1469 – 1539 A.D. History is the guide to tell us that during this period many of the spiritualistic, cultural and progressive ideas came to the fore and fructified owing to the proactive role of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. The following observable changes occurred:-
- The universal message of Guru Nanak Dev Ji was to reach a common understanding through dialogue and carry all along by understanding others viewpoints.
- The old dogmas and unnecessary rituals prevailing amongst the masses gave place to progressive ideas. Service (Seva) and prayers (Simran) should be given more credence.
- Propagated the idea of goodwill and welfare of all without bias.
- Insisted that everybody should be truthful in words and deeds.
- Resulted in intellectual and spiritual renaissance of the masses.
- Humanism was given more importance with the idea that human beings are considered good or bad according to the deeds and not on the basis of birth.
- Religion should create harmony and not hurdles in the path of masses.
- Complete surrender to the will of God for spiritual forward march.
- He taught the philosophy of ONE GOD.
- Bad traits such as ego, anger, greed, attachment and lust should be shunned from our midst.
- We should always be in the quest/pursuit of knowledge for our enlightenment. Knowledge helps us to attain salvation too.
The Holy Gurbani is a sacred treasure and has universal appeal, every verse (shaloka) while recited suffuses and fills with fragrance in the environment it is spoken and cures the illness of our soul. Almost all the prayers are in the praise of our Akalpurakh in one form or other.
For Example: Gun Biant Kimat Nahi Pae!! Nanak Jis Bhavai! Tis Lae Malae!
Endless are His virtuous qualities; His worth cannot be appraised. O Nanak, one who pleases Him is united with Him.
This is the holiest day in the history of Sikhism. It is celebrated not only by Sikhs but also by all those who believe in His Holy Words. Akhand Path, non-stop recitation from Guru Granth Sahibji, Asa Di Var (Collection of 24 Stanzas written by the revered Guruji). Gurdwaras are specially decorated tastefully on this occasion. Devout pay respectful tributes to Sri Guru Nanak Devji and remember His contributions for the spiritual upliftment of the common masses and rid them from unnecessary rituals that prevailed.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji’s premise was that those who do not know the true meaning of scriptures, cannot differentiate between good and bad; are steeped in egocentric pursuits. These people are verily the ignorant ones. There is no exaggeration in saying that main thrust of Guru Ki Bani is to remove ignorance, superstition and complex customs bedeviling the masses This also helped in spreading the message of goodwill besides engendering brotherly feelings amongst them without bias. Guru Nanak’s stellar contribution is the wellbeing of the humanity as a whole and for the spread of this message He travelled length and breadth of our country and abroad.
On this day Prabhat Pheris (early morning processions) which are taken from the Gurdwaras in the early morning itself and cover almost all the lanes and bye lanes in the vicinity. People sing hymns in His glory in this procession.
All the incarnations Messengers of God suffered. They suffered so that we may learn lesson for a peaceful co-existence between all humans:-
- Guru Nanak Preaching are more relevant now than ever:
While pains and sufferings are the part and parcel of our life but when it is inflicted by ourown brethren then it still more painful. What has been happening around the world now is nothing but painful. Guru Nanak has himself mentioned this “Unto whom should I tie up and give the bundle of my pains? The whole world is overlowing with pain and suffering. Where-ever I see loads of pain and suffering.” Guru Nanak traversed lengths and breadths of India and in the foreign lands, so he mentioned about the ‘pain across the globe. This pain and suffering could be ameliorated through meditation, he mentioned. “Remembering Him in meditation, a profound peace is obtained. Oaub and suffering will not touch you at all – remain in the sanctuary of God and no pain and suffering will ever touch you at all.
All the humans are our Creator’s creations but they are born under different circumstances and difficernt conditions and different locations. But from the same LIGHT we are created. Then why people we interpret scriptural inscription differently. It really pains me immensely.
- Prophet Mohammad suffered immensely at the hands of his opponents in Makkah and in other place like Al-Tayf and Madina who knew His exceptional intelligence and integrity.Although he was bestowed with very good business, a happy family and helpful relatives yet he preferred the path of pains and sufferings. His opponents raised every conceivable hurdles in His path but he did not care about His sufferings but wiped off the tears of others though He was called ‘lying renegade’. Madina Although like Christ, He forgave them and followed a Allaha ordained path for the welfare of mankind.
- Jesus Christ preached the importance of having compassion for our fellow beings. He taught that kindhearted feeling should be there even for our enemies,
Jesus was born in 7 – 2 BC and was crucified in 30-33 AD in Jerusalem on the orders of the Roman prefect, Pontius Pilate. He was born in Nazareth, Galilee to Parents Marry & Joseph. During his life time too he had to suffer at the hands of opponents on one pretext or other.
The Supreme Lord sends His Messengers on this earth to spread His Message. His teachings are so relevant that there is a definitive imprint of His teachings on the psyche of people and that is why His influence remains centuries after centuries. Those sincere devotees who have attained certain level of spirituality can see the Divine Vision.
Christ preached forgiveness and mercy. He even forgave those who harmed him immensely. No ill-feelings for anyone absolutely that is the message given:
Matthew 6:14-15 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Jesus was the one who had won victory against material consciousness. He exists in the hearts and minds of His followers. He said, ‘I do nothing of myself, but as my Father hath taught me.’ Christians including numberless others who have indomitable belief in His preaching shun delusions and follow His ideals. His presence is felt through his teachings. Those who have self realization know that in every speck of cosmos Christ Consciousness exists but only those who have vision can experience this. Christ Consciousness is a part of Cosmic Consciousness should never be lost sight of by us humans.
His teachings are so exhaustive, yet, if we care to follow the ones mentioned below, we can make our life sublime.
- Krishna – the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who appeared on this earth as the Avtar (incarnation of Lord Vishnu) more than 5,000 years ago had to put put up with so many pains and sufferings firstly at the hands of Demon King Kamsa (the most demonist of all Bhoja dynasty. Subsequently faced evils in the form of demons like Trnavarta, Bakasura, Aghasura, Dhenuksura, Pralambasura, Kesi in the form of horse, besides serpent Kaliya to whom he forgave and finally besides serpent Kaliya to whom he forgave. So much so was he disturbed by the demons that for the safety of his subjects he had to established his abode at Dwarka suffused with fortification etc. In Mahabharta, Lod Krishna played a stellar role in annihilation of evil in the form of Dhritrashtra and his sons especially Dharyodhna/ Though the battle between Kauravas and Pandavas took a heavy toll yet truth won and evil perpetuated and pampered by Kauravas was destroyed ultimately.
- Lord Rama an epitome of Dharma and peace. He was to be carbonated as King of Ayodhya but had to go for exile for 14 long years. During exile, he killed many demons who disturbed the hermits in their meditation. His consort Sita was abducted with deception by demon king Ravana who represented evil. There was a ferocious battle between the two armies of Lord Rama and Ravana where evil of Ravana was defeated.
- Lord Budha who eptomised non-violence and peace throughout his life and spread his message of fairplay and tolerance through his disciples too faced many hurdles initially from his opponents while spreading the message of love and affection. Even his death is death after consuming a special delicacy offered by his generous host, the remains of which was buried.
It goes to show that our most revered ones suffered at the hands of their opponents then what we are? We should actually learn lessons out of their sufferings / sacrifices and live joyously and with empathy.
Profound lessons that we human should get from the Messengers and God incarnations.
We woefully opine that we are suffering pains at the hands of our opponents (those who do not agree to our viewpoints) just conveniently forgetting the untold sufferings undergone by the Messengers of God. Following should never be forgotten while dealing with each others.
- The world of ours is in constant struggle between good and evil. This is due to thrusting our opinionson others forcefully and consequent struggle. Then differing people resort to disproportionate violence result in loss of precious lives. No religion recommends this.
- There is a fight between the truth and falsehood. This difference may be due to different interpretation of scriptures but basic thrust of all religious scriptures is good of humanity as a whole without bias and feelings of compassion, empathy, cooperation, brotherhood and goodwill to be encouraged between all humans.
- There are those who are oppressor and those who are oppressed. The oppressor should introspect about his/her origin and should never identify himself/herself different from others.
- Bad things could happen to good ones. This is a fact, bad things have happened to the good people but when this injustice should stop and message of goodness that is codified in all the religious texts made applicable in letter and spirit? The sooner this happens the better for the humanity as a whole. No human loss please.
- We should never forget that we have a common Creator meaning we are commonly related to our Him. Then why bloodletting for temporary gain – a gain which pains even our Creator!
- All the main scriptures exhort us for co-existing with mutual cooperation and with goodwill then why misunderstanding and killing? Where all this will lead the humanity?
- Be that as it may, lets forget our small small differences and live as creation created by our ONE Creator.